Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs

University of the Philippines System

Home FAQs


Program Implementation

Q: When is the official start date of the program/project?
A: The start date stated in the contract is the official start date of the program/project. Only for exceptional cases can the Program/Project leader request a change in the official start date of the program/project.

Q: What does Counterpart Funding in my LIB mean?
A: Counterpart funding is the financial, administrative, and other logistics support provided by the CU such as the use of facilities, laboratory or office space, utilities (electricity, water), salary for support staff, etc.  All indirect costs are shouldered by your CU. 

Q: How do I know how much indirect cost should be included in the counterpart funding?
A: Indirect costs would differ from CU to CU and from one department to another depending on how much the University/department’s allotment for such costs.  You may ask your college/department’s administrative officer for a rough estimate of how much is spent on these costs.

Q: How will I access the funds allotted for my EIDR Project? When can I get the funds?
A:   EIDR funds are released in three (3) tranches per year.  The first tranche, representing 50% of your PS & MOOE and 100% of EO funds will be released once the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs (OVPAA) receives your notarized contract.  The OVPAA will then request a transfer of funds to your CU, after which you will be given a copy of a funding check memorandum (FCM).  This means that funds for your project have been transferred to your CU’s Accounting Office. All your expenses, purchase requests, and reimbursements will be charged to the released FCM. No actual transfer of funds will take place between the Program Leader and EIDR/OVPAA. 

Q: When will the remaining funds be released?  
A: The second (30%) and third (20%) tranches will be released upon submission of your 6th month and 10th month progress (technical and financial) reports, respectively.  The next 50% of the succeeding year will be released upon submission of the annual report, with a recommendation from the member of the EIDR Evaluation and Monitoring Committee in charge of your project/program (EEMC-in-charge).  Reports must follow the OVPAA-prescribed form and be properly labeled (semi-annual, 10th month, annual).

Q: What are the other requirements that I have to submit together with my progress report?
A: In addition to the technical report, the progress report must include the financial report that reflects the CURRENT financial status of the project at the time the report was prepared.  The financial report must use the OVPAA template. The progress report, which includes technical and financial reports should also include a status of funds issued by the CU Accounting Office. The Project Manager or the Project Leader should prepare the financial report based on the status of funds. Therefore, the financial report and the status of funds must have the same balances.

Q: Once my project/program budget has been approved, can I still make changes to it?
A:  Changes in the expense items or amounts during the implementation of the program may be done with prior approval of the VPAA.  The Program Leader (Project Leader for single projects) must send a letter of request for budget realignment addressed to the VPAA TWO  MONTHS PRIOR TO MAKING THE CHANGES. The request must be sent with a strong justification for the requested change/s or realignment in the approved budget using the prescribed format.  The latest financial report or status of funds from the CU Accounting Office must be attached to the letter.  The proponent must receive approval of the request before implementing the realigned LIB.

Q: What changes can be requested when a request for realignment is made?
A:  Transferring of funds across different classifications (e.g. from PS to MOOE or from EO to MOOE, etc.) and/or funds from Year 1 to Year 2  are not allowed. Subtotals for PS, MOOE and EO must remain the same as in the approved LIB.  You must have prior approval before making any changes to the approved LIB. 

Q: If we have unexpended or remaining funds when Year 1 of the project ends, will the unexpended amount be carried over to the Year 2 budget?
A:  Any unexpended amount from Year 1 will be returned to the UP System. These will not be added to your Year 2 funds.  

Q:  Can any of my Project Leaders realign their project budget?  Who should make the request?
A:  Requests for realignment should only be made by the Program Leader. 

Q: How many times can I make changes to my project/program budget?
A: Requests for budget realignment must not exceed twice in each year of implementation starting from the formal commencement of the project/program.

Q: How can I buy my equipment, supplies, etc?
A: Please refer to the implementing guidelines of your CU’s supply and property management office for your procurement concerns. 

Q: Once my project is completed and terminated, what happens to the equipment acquired by my EIDR program/project?  
A: The equipment may be housed at a common laboratory/office in the Program/Project Leader’s unit to allow access by other researchers.  The Program/Project Leader/s will be responsible for the aftercare maintenance and repair of the equipment.  

Q: If I resign from the University, can I bring the equipment with me? 
A: Any equipment acquired through the EIDR is the property of the University.  The equipment stays with the college/department/unit.   

Q: How is a project considered completed?
A: A project is considered completed only upon submission of the terminal technical report, terminal audited financial report, proof of publication as stipulated in the EIDR contract, and a copy of the voucher, check, and official receipt for the return of unexpended funds.

Q: Is it possible to extend my project implementation?
A: Projects must strictly follow the implementation dates stipulated in the EIDR contract. However, if due to unforeseen circumstances, projects can be extended up to a maximum of one year subject to the approval of the VPAA upon evaluation and recommendation by the EEMC.  A written request with strong justification must be submitted to OVPAA AT LEAST TWO MONTHS BEFORE THE END OF THE PROGRAM. Kindly submit supporting documents such as Gantt Chart, Risk Analysis, draft manuscripts, or status of outputs.

During the implementation of the extension, attendance at conferences/training outside the country is not allowed as it is expected that the period should be devoted to awaiting the results of publication and the preparation of the terminal reports. Likewise, NO realignment of funds is allowed during the extension period. Likewise, the hiring of new personnel is not allowed during the extension period. In case of an approved extension, a terminal technical and financial report is expected to be submitted to OVPAA at the end of the implementation. For a one-year approved extension, 6th month and 10th month progress (technical and financial) reports are required reportorial documents to be submitted to OVPAA.

Q: If my program/project involves foreign travel, how many foreign travels are allowed? 
A: Two (2) foreign travels per year per project are allowed. 

Q: What do I need to do in case I go on sabbatical leave,  special detail assignment (SDA) or travel abroad?
A: If the scheduled travel, sabbatical leave or SDA will have a duration of more than two months, the Project/Program leader must write a letter addressed to the VPAA with the details of such and the arrangements to be made in the implementation of the programs/projects assigned to them. Likewise, the Program/Project leader must seek approval from the VPAA on assigning their replacement.  The honorarium will then be transferred to the replacement or OIC during this period. 

Q: In lieu of publications, what other outputs can I produce?
A: If your project will lead to the discovery of potentially patentable material, you must take steps to protect your Intellectual Property. The Project Leader must coordinate with the CU TTBDO or OVCRD/OVCRE or equivalent before presenting the research results.

Q: What is a patent? 
A: A patent is a grant issued by the government that gives an inventor exclusive rights to exclude others from making, using, importing, and selling/trading his invention or the product of his invention. In return, the inventor must disclose all information regarding the invention to the public. For more information, kindly coordinate with your CU TTBDO or OVCRD/OVCRE or equivalent.

Q: Should the EEMC be present in all activities related to my EIDR project?
A: A Member or members of the EEMC may be invited to an activity or function related to the EIDR project but a written notice must be given 2 weeks in advance.  

Q: Who is my contact person at the OVPAA for any EIDR queries that I might have?
A: You may reach the EIDR staff at (02) 9818500 loc. 2622. Any communications and questions pertaining to the implementation of your EIDR program/project should be sent to

Appointments of Project Personnel

Q: Who will process my appointment paper as Program Leader/Project Leader?  Who will be the signatories?
A: Your College/Department will prepare your “Basic Paper for Appointment of Faculty to Administrative Position in Additional Assignment Basis”, which will be signed by the Chancellor.  The administrative support is part of the indirect cost in your approved EIDR line item budget (LIB). Your unit should be able to help you process your appointment paper, among other things.  This shall apply to all project/program members who are UP employees. 

Q: What do we do in case of a change in project leader/program leader due to retirement/resignation from the University?
A: The Program Leader should write a letter to VPAA informing/notifying re: impending retirement/resignation and request the appointment of a new Project Leader/Program Leader.

Q: Who will process the appointment papers of my project research assistants (RAs)/other team members (e.g. Program Manager, Study Leaders, etc)?
A: All non-UP personnel involved in the project shall have a Contract of Services signed by the Program/Project Leader and the Contractee, and witnesses who are preferably project members.  The Program/Project Leader will define the duties and responsibilities of the project RA and the duration of the contract.  However, some constituent units (CUs) require that the contracts be renewed every 3 months, while others allow appointments for up to 6 months.  It will be best to seek guidance from the CU HRDO regarding this matter.  Again, kindly ask for the assistance of your college/department administrative office (AO).

Q: Who will process the salaries of my RAs and other team members who are non-UP personnel?
A: The Program/Project Leader can assign a member of the team (such as the Program Manager) to prepare the vouchers for the payment of salaries of the RAs and other team members. 

Q: Who will process the permit/s (e.g. ethics board permit) that is/are being required for the activities of my project?
A: The Program/Project Leader is responsible for coordinating with concerned offices (e.g. RGAO of UPManila for health-related studies involving human subjects) to secure the permit/s needed for the project.

Q: What is the role of the Program Manager?
A: The Program Manager is responsible for ensuring the smooth day-to-day execution of the program’s activities including the timely submission of reports, monitoring of finances, availability of supplies, and liaising or coordinating with CU offices, among others.  

Q: When will the appointment of the project team start?
A: Start of the contract date of the project team can be the same as the start date of the project.  

Q: Is there a standard rate for the RAs? and the consultants?
A: You may refer to the latest DOST-prescribed salary rates for project personnel.

Q: How much tax is deducted from my honoraria?
A: The withholding tax for your honoraria will depend on your faculty rank.   The processing of your EIDR funds is subject to the existing accounting and auditing rules applicable to the University.

Q:  Can my RA also receive a daily subsistence allowance for his/her travel/s abroad?
A: All expenses pertaining to travel may be allowed as long as it is in the approved LIB of the project/program. 

Q:  Can non-UP researchers involved in a project also receive a per diem allowance when attending local conferences/fieldwork?
A: No, non-UP researchers (e.g. RA) cannot receive a per diem allowance.

Q: Can my RA serve as the first author in the writing of articles for publication and papers for poster and oral presentations for conferences, both local and international? 
A: Yes. The RA, students, and junior faculty mentored through the grant may be first authors of the publication. The support from the EIDR grant must be clearly acknowledged in all publications and abstract/conference materials.