Research, study opportunities for faculty and staff during K to 12 transition

The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) has grants for faculty and staff members who wish to pursue research or higher studies during the K to 12 transition period.

According to Vice President for Academic Affairs Cynthia Rose Bautista, these opportunities are “in line with the University’s resolve to utilize the K to 12 transition for addressing UP’s multiple imperatives including the enhancement of the qualifications of faculty and staff.”

The K to 12 Transition Program, as defined by CHED, is “a five-year effort aimed at the strategic development of higher education institutions and personnel during the transition period from 2016 to 2021.”

Below are the CHED grants available.

1. Fulbright-CHED Scholarship

The grant allows a faculty or staff to pursue master’s or doctoral studies, or doctoral dissertation research in the United States. Funding is for one year for non-degree studies and two years for master’s or doctoral studies. There is a return service obligation with the home institution in the form of teaching upon completion of the grant.

Extended deadline: 30 June 2017

2. Partial Support Grant for Studies Abroad

Faculty members who have already been accepted to schools abroad may qualify for CHED’s partial support grant. Through this grant, CHED funds the remaining balance needed by faculty members. This is meant for those who get admission and also receive scholarship offers from their school abroad as well as their home institution here in the Philippines.

Deadline: Rolling but ideally six months before the start of program

3. Short-term Training for Faculty

This is a grant meant to support short-term training for professional advancement or continuing professional education. A faculty member wanting to attend a training offered by a foregin institute, say Ecole Normale Superieure, can be funded through this grant. UP might consider organizing a training for faculty members in a discipline that it is either a Center of Excellence or Development. The proposing institution can submit a training design and work and financial plan under this grant, which CHED can then support.

Deadline: Rolling

4. DARE to Research Grant

This grant is for higher education institutions working together on a research, possibly in partnership with schools abroad.